Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Watching the World Cup in Santa Marinella Italy


What a gift it is to spend World Cup month in Italy.  Here in SM, it’s just the right amount of enthusiasm.  No violence.  No aggression.  At least not in public.  On the way to the Monkey’s Pub – an Irish pub on the far side of the boardwalk, they have a massive screen and a couple of large tv screens.  We’ve been going there to watch some games.  Usually the early games.  I have yet to go to a midnight game, but that’s usually because we have class the next day.

 

This is just perfect for me. Get some dinner at the pub, then settle in to watch the games. My favorite things to eat there are the Boscaiole and the hamburger patties with arugula. The owner is a cool guy who already knows us.  There’s this spot upstairs – a kind of mezzanine – where we can turn our chairs toward the big screen and it’s like being at the movies.

 

The night of Italy’s first game, a high-spirited group of locals gathered there. When it was time for the national anthems, the home team’s anthem was met with indifference.  But when it was time for Italy’s – the sound was turned way, way up! Every sang all LOUD AND PROUD! Hehehe. 

 

The first American game, where they beat Ghana(!!!!???) was at midnight and, according to my classmates who went, it was met with indifference.  The place was mostly empty. 

 

We saw the Mexico-Brazil game there.  A nil-nil yawnfest. There were a few lively moments, but, on the whole, it was a lot of frustration.  To be fair, though, Mexico was massive in holding off Brazil! I wish Chicharito had a chance to shine. Or take the chance!

 

Last night I was shocked at how Germany only managed to tie Ghana.  USA beat Ghana! How did Germany let that game get away from them?  I think it was the weather. Philip Lahm was red in the face and the team in general was quite at a loss for creativity.  They do say, if you take the Europeans out of Europe, they come undone. (Hey…that would make a good title for a song…)

 

A couple of games have come on tv.  I’ve seen two so far – one during the first week and right now Belgium is playing Russia.  Vincent Kompany for Belgium! He is a man-wall!

 

These are the Belgium players I’ve heard of because they play around Europe:

  • Kompany – Manchester City
  • Jan Vertonghen
  • Thibaut Courtois
  • Thomoas Vermaelen
  • Moussa Dembele
  • Marouane Fellaini
  • Eden Hazard
  • Christian Benteke
  • Romelu Lukaku
     
    These are the Russian players I have heard of:
     
  • Igor Akinfeev
     

Hmmm…well, there you go…

 

USA!USA!USA! plays tonight at midnight, but I can’t go because I have a party to attend. That’s okay. They are doing just fine without me.

 

Later…

USA!USA!USA! TIED PORTUGAL!!! You know – the Portugal with CR7!  I caught some highlights.  Amazing! Our faith and patience with Klinsmann is paying off.  Dempsey scored!  That’s my boy!

 

TUESDAY, 24 JUNE

 

Watched Italy and Uruguay on tv today Rai1.  It…was…shocking!  Nil-nil the whole game until Uruguay (not Luis Suarez, but one of his teammates) scored with a header in a goal-mouth scramble.  I love a nice goal-mouth scramble. Buffon was Man of The Match.  Don’t know why, but okay. Consolation prize, maybe.

 

That may be the last game I watch here.  Our time is coming to a close. By the time I get home, it will be on to the Round of 16 – with a lot of usurpers in the mix. Good. Europeans winning everything is so cliché.

 
Andrea Pirlo

 

Mario Balotelli

Sorry, I don't recognize this guy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment