Thursday, July 17, 2014

June 21 Musings

Striking out on my own...




   Today was so chill.  I didn’t go anywhere.  I woke up late, did some sink laundry and read Petrarch.  The light outside was gorgeous – golden, but not blazing.  The wind played the water like a piano with luscious rhythms that feed your soul. Tonight, a group of us went to have dinner at Monkey’s Pub and watch Germany get their swingers handed to them by Ghana. This World Cup is stomping all over what is considered typical.  They do say, when you take the Europeans out of Europe, anything can happen.  Remember South Korea/Japan 2002?  The US beat Portugal in a game that was a holy mess.  It was pouring down rain and the USMNT left everything on the field to squeak out a win by one goal. Let’s see if Portugal can win a game standing upright and not lying down on the wet grass.


 Last night we had dinner at the professor’s condo.  There was cheese, fruit, Italian charcuterie, sausage and three kinds of pasta .  Then we had class.  I kid you not.  After dinner, we spent two hours on Dante’s Purgatorio.  Just out of curiosity, I read the last canto.  The last couple of lines reached out to me. I don’t know what they want from me, but they won’t let me go.  


But now my will and my desire were turned,
as wheels that move in equilibrium,
   by love that moves the sun and other stars.
 
I don’t know what it is, but something in me responded to those lines like guitar strings being strummed. That may be something to be explored later in a diary or essay.


We covered Dante in two days.  Just the Purgatorio.  Sometimes short is best because you have to either grab the basics or spend a few months.  Anything in between will just frustrate you at having to decide what to keep and what to ignore.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment